Monday, November 18, 2013

QR Code Phonics Fun

My reading intervention group had so much fun today!!!!  We've been working extremely hard on phonemic awareness and phonics.  We're doing The Phonics Dance, which I used in 1st and 2nd... and it's really helping my small group of 3rd graders with decoding skills.

Today my co-teacher and I made a QR hall hunt.  We came up with 10 make believe words using the "hunks and chunks" we've been working on.

We hung them in the hallway with a QR code on each.  When the students scanned the code, it took them to an audio file of my co-teacher saying each make-believe word!  They had a recording sheet where they had to mark off if they read each word correctly or incorrectly... they read the word, scanned the code, and checked themselves.  It was SO MUCH FUN!

Check out these pics...


Here's the recording sheet...

So, then I collected the recording sheets and saw that 7 out of my 16 friends missed number seven, so now I know we need to work on those sounds some more!

I loved that they could do this on their own and I LOVE LOVE LOVED walking out in the halls with them, hearing so many whispered, "YES!"es as they got the words correct!

The moral is... try QR codes if you can!

4 comments:

  1. Cool activity! I'd buy something like this from you! We do the Phonics Dance, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so creative! I have heard of using QR codes before and have also learned a little bit about it in one of my classes this semester! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new blog design is so cute! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a creative activity. I have never heard use qr code in class before. It's a great experience.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...