Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Our Number of The Day Routine {AKA- One Proud Teacher!}

So yeah.  It's been about 6 weeks that I've been back in the classroom and this little blog has been neglected as I've been adjusting to being a teacher again.

Can I just say that I love it?  And how much I missed being in the classroom?

I loved being a principal too... but nothing beats having your own little group of tiny humans to connect with and love.

We complete a daily number routine that helps us build our math thinking skills and our automaticity.  I've been noticing lately how AMAZING my kiddos have gotten at understanding how numbers work and I had to come on and brag...

Don't mind the messy handwriting, but check out their subtraction sentences from yesterday... and remember, these are FIRST GRADERS!


A friend had something similar in her classroom at my previous school and so I created this and sent the file off to Office Max, where they posterized it and laminated it for me!  We just use a Vis-a-Vis marker and wipe it off at the end of each day.

We go through this routine every morning as part of our daily calendar activities.  We can get all of this done in less than 8 minutes now and I love hearing their confidence grow each day as their math fluency grows!

You want to print this out at Office Max too?  Just save the image below and upload to their site.  Mine is the 24" x 36" poster and here it is hanging from my easel to give you some perspective on its size:


Open this and save it to use to make your own Number of the Day poster!



Have a great rest of the week!

2 comments:

  1. Is there a link here to open the poster file? All I could do was open a larger picture of it from your easel. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to hear that you are loving your new job! I knew you would!
    I knew a teacher who used something similar to the poster you're using. She called it Incredible Equations. The kids loved to see the patterns of adding bigger numbers. And would piggy back on others. For example if one said 25 + 25 = 50, another would say 24 + 26= 50, and then a third would say 23 + 27 = 50! It was amazing for them to get how to do that! I'm glad to see you back to blogging too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...