Friday, August 29, 2014

Phonemic Awareness with Bigger Kids {AKA- What We Did in Summer School}

Holy last weekend of summer!  How did this happen?!  As shocking as it is, I'm really ready to get back into the swing and be with my little people!

Last week, I wrapped up teaching summer school.  I had a small group of 3-5 graders who needed some extra phonemic awareness and phonics practice so I wanted to share what we did.  We met for 30 minutes each morning and did lots of activities to help us develop our awareness of sounds and vocabulary too...

Read on to see each item in the basket and find out a bit about how we used each one!

First... we did a daily phonemic awareness practice.  I LOVE THIS BOOK and I cannot stress this enough.  I used this when I taught 1st/2nd grade and it was amazing for my kiddos.  This quick, daily practice covers so many phonemic awareness skills and the kids enjoy doing it... even the bigger ones!  The book I use has the yellow cover.  You can find it at this link.

We also did some of the activities out of this book.  There are some fun phonemic awareness stories, which we enjoyed!

We LOVE doing 'making words'.  I have the book by Patricia Cunningham.  I have pulled out the pages and put them in this binder.  This is a GREAT way for students to practice building words using sounds and they love trying to figure out the mystery word!  Click HERE to check out the book on Amazon.

One way I make this easier is to have a set of laminated index cards that have been cut in half.   Students can quickly use a dry erase marker to write the letters they need for the making words activity on the laminated card halves... this way I don't have to have sets of letters that need to be sorted after each use... instead, we just write each letter on a card and erase when done!  Easy peasy!

We used white boards daily to do counting sounds activities.  I would give students a word, we'd count the sounds, and then make one line on the board for each sound.  Students then used their "hunks and chunks" knowledge to spell the words- being sure to place one sound on each line.

Speaking of "hunks and chunks", do you Phonics Dance?  Even my big kids at summer school got into the phonics dance!  That's what the little sheep pic is from in the basket below.  There's also a 3rd grade Vocabulary Power flip book.  We got one new word each day to build our vocabulary.  You can find 3rd grade Vocabulary Power on Amazon!  They have 1st as well.

Last, we did a page from my "100 Days to CCSS Success" each day too.  That's the blue "book" in the front of the basket.  I have those available for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd graders in my TpT store and have put them on sale for 20% off for today only!  Click HERE to check them out!

And there you have it!  Fun, engaging, and still important for bigger kids to get phonemic awareness practice!

Happy long weekend to everyone!

6 comments:

  1. Can't bring up the link to the Daily Phonemic Awareness Practice. Any ideas? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It works for me, Mrs. Filiatraut... try this one: http://www.literacyresourcesinc.com/phonemic-awareness-revised-english-primary-curriculum/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love my "Yellow" Book :) You'll have to come over sometime after school and see the new lobby, it is wow ! Have a great weekend and first day :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you tell me more about your yellow book? Do you feel like it truly helped your kids grow?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your idea for the dry erase index cards for the letters in the making words activity. I will be using that! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great! Thank you so much for sharing this. I am new to blogging and would love to link up sometime! Thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...