Saturday, February 4, 2012

Homework!... how it looks in Room 10

I'm linking up with the Lesson Plan Diva with this post about homework in my room... looking forward to seeing what everyone else does for homework too!  So, this post is an oldie, but a goodie!  :)

In my class, students have homework every night except for Fridays.

Each night, they have a math page (Homelink from Everyday Math), Speller's Choice, and 15-minutes of required reading from a book of their choice.

My students have a homework sheet that they get in their HORSE folders each week. Teaching 2 grade levels, I had to figure out how to manage this without making a ton of extra work for myself... so I tweaked my homework sheet to fit both grade levels. I made it a fillable PDF so I didn't have to worry about formatting or text changes from my home to school computer and then I just had to fill in the date and assignments each week from my school computer! You can see it below.

I don't use every Homelink and, since I don't send homework on Fridays, I do pick and choose the most valuable Homelinks to send home.

When I check folders in the morning, I do it while my students are completing their morning work/eating breakfast in the classroom. I pull out the math, check to see that spelling was completed, and put a star/sticker/stamp in that day's box if homework was completed.

I have a homework tracker booklet that I made that is a grid. Each students' name is written down the left and I write the dates across the top. If homework was completed, they get a check. If spelling wasn't done, I write an "S" and an "M" for math. If they forgot their HORSE, I draw an "X". The "class grid" file is for sale at my Teacher's Notebook shop or on TpT- here's a peek at it! The "name" column is fillable so you can type students' names in.



At the end of each month, any student who has completed 100% of their homework, gets invited to be in the "Homework Club". The kids LOVE it! Last year, I had 100% participation every month and the kids loved eating lunch with me in the room, so that is how we celebrated every month. I usually brought cookies or some sort of treat to share with them during our lunch too. At the end of the year, I always have a pizza party for the kids who have been in the club every single month. And those kids (the "Homework Hall of Fame") have their names printed on a sign that will hang in my room forever! They love looking back to see who they know from my former classes that are in the "Hall of Fame"!

"Homework Club" is a huge incentive to my kiddos and they take their homework completion very seriously! I do TOTALLY understand that when a 6 or 7 year old doesn't do their homework, it isn't their fault... it's more likely a parent issue. So, I do take that into consideration. And if you miss one night of homework, I do keep you in the club if you complete it late.

Habitual non-homework doers may need time in class to complete it. I know we are trying to instill responsibility in our students, but I also try and think about what is happening in my students' homes that might prohibit them from having the necessary support to complete their homework.

So, that's my homework in a nutshell!

12 comments:

  1. Oh! I am new to this homework concept since I did my internship in 1st and it didn't really happen. So happy to hear how someone does it! Also love the incentive, homework bunch, like lunch bunch but better you also get homework in return!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your homework assignmet page and how you explained how to do the speller's choice on the back of their homework page. How do you keep track of how many books they read for your reading program if you don't have a seperate reading log?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Eva- the kids keep track on a list for the "100 Club" (http://www.bainbridgeclass.com/hundredclub.htm).

    :)
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  4. We do the same thing for homework. I like the homework club idea too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found out that in my school, students don't get assignment notebooks until 3rd grade (which bothers me, because I think reinforcement is essential in earlier grades as well!!!). Anyway, I was thinking that I needed some kind of homework sheet. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

    Marvelous Multiagers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is the name of the font you used for most of the writing on the homework page?

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jennifer! It's a DJ Inkers font called "DJ Basic". I love how neat the lines are!

    :)
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this! What is the font you use for the section at the top that says Mrs. Bainbridge Homework? I'm excited to try this this year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Christina - I do my homework like you (Thanks to you!). Reading your post and comments about knowing (or not knowing) what goes on at home is something you take into consideration. I have about 4 students who never bring back homework!! I feel bad, b/c I know it's not their fault. BUT when I ask them to do it in class they need me right there to help them and I don't have the time to do that. What do you do? Also, do you "count" their homework if their homework form isn't filled out correctly? I have some sneaky students who check off what they read but never what WHAT they read and I gave them several weeks of practice but now I count it "incomplete" ... maybe I'm too mean!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey girl! Is it possible to share an editable version of this so we can tweak it and use it? I already use your horse folders and spellers choice, so that would be so helpful. Thanks! :)

    Ashleybowlesreed@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...