Monday, September 16, 2013

Asking and Answering Questions: Flipping the Question

It's FAIR DAY!!!!  What's that you ask...?  Well, living in an incredibly rural county has its perks {sometimes!}.  One of those perks rolls around every year in September and it's Fair Day!  Our county grange fair is going on and every week the Monday of fair is Fair Day.  Most schools in the county are closed so kids can go to the fair, show animals, do 4H stuff, etc... and most teachers get the day off too.  Last year our kids were off, but we had to report for PD.  This year we get the day off too!  So, I'm working on stuff for school and waiting for my hubby to get home so we can go go the fair for lunch.  He's leaving work at noon today and we're going to go eat something that has been fried.  Yum!!!!

While I'm waiting for him, I'm working on school stuff.  Last year I realized that my students REALLY struggled with asking their own questions about a book.  Like seriously struggled.  So, this week we're going to start working on RL 3.1- ask and answer questions.  One thing I want my students to be able to do is not only ask quality questions, but answer them with more than one word.  So we are going to be FLIPPING questions.  I have made a set of cards with common questions one might ask about a book and the cards can be physically FLIPPED so students can see how to use the questions in their answers.

These are available on TpT for free!  If you do download them, I'd love to hear from you so don't forget to leave some feedback!  Just click the pic below!
I hope you all enjoy your Monday... at the fair or at school!  ;)

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for these! My kiddos struggle with asking quality questions too. This will also help them to answer questions in complete sentences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great! I would have used them a ton with my 2nd grade kiddos last year, but I'm sure they'll come in handy with my higher 1st graders this year! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun way to learn how to incorporate the question into the answer! Thank you for making it a freebie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great! We were working on this today and we talked about taking off the question words, like Why? and turning it into a sentence. I like the use of the flipping term. Perfect test prep too! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...