Thursday, September 5, 2013

What We've Been Up To... in Pictures!

Holy first week of school, Batman!  It's always such a whirlwind and I forget every year how crazy the first few weeks are!

We've been busy setting up routines and getting ready for when we start switching classes next week.  I have a group of super sweeties this year {and one best friend... which is how I always think of my more challenging kiddos!}.

I have had time to snap a few pics of what we've been doing this week...

We did my favorite beginning of the year tradition which is to color in bubble letters of our names, mount them on colored paper, laminate and hang all year!  Usually I hang them in the hall, but this year I'm keeping them in our room...


On the first day, I took a picture of each kid making a "thinking face".  On the 2nd day {Wednesday}, we cut them out and glued them to a piece of writing paper with a thought bubble.  They each wrote in the bubble something they were thinking about 3rd grade.  I hung them in my baggie quilt in the hallway... and love it!

And today we decorated the covers for our RRJs {Reading Response Journals}.  I brought out the scrapbooking paper, stickers, and glitter glue and they had a blast making them look unique!  We started these last year and I LOVE them.  The kids respond to their reading by writing 3-5 sentences at home each night and I love seeing their thoughts about their books.  I really gives me insight into their comprehension and also gives valuable writing practice!  They can't WAIT to start using them next week!  Click either pic to learn more about RRJs!

Find my RRJ pack on TpT!

It's been a good first week.  One thing I'm absolutely LOVING is seeing my kiddos from last year!  Since last year was my first year in my building, I didn't have any former students to wave at all year long... I am LOVING bumping into my kiddos from last year, quick hugs in the hall, fast waves as they walk past my room, and seeing those precious kiddos!

Hope everyone else is off to a good start... but I am glad tomorrow's Friday!

4 comments:

  1. When do you all start switching? We started on day 1 with our second graders. Little bit chaotic...

    Jessica
    Literacy Spark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We kept our own classes on the first and 2nd days. On the 3rd and 4th days, we did "mini" switches. The kids went to each class for just 20 minutes and each teacher talked about expectations and class procedures. We'll start for realzies on Monday... which is our 5th day of school.

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of a baggie quilt to display work! So smart! Those thinking pictures are too cute!

    ThePolishedTeacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're lucky to be able to store things on your cabinets that close to the ceiling! Funny how different fire department regulations are! We are not allowed to have anything above 18 inches from the ceiling.

    ~Traci
    The Bender Bunch

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...