Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Guided Reading- Part 2... more info!

Happy Tuesday!

Thanks for the positive comments and questions on my guided reading post!

This post is designed to answer some questions and provide a bit more information.

So...

Samantha asked: If you are focusing on all these different skills in small groups, how do you handle whole group comprehension and phonics/word building lessons? What does that look like?

*
In my whole group lessons, I try and do a mix of the skills for both grade levels for the week. Much of the time they correlate. Even when I taught just 2nd grade, I didn't do a ton with the phonics and word building because not every student needed it. I have always focused on that with just the students who need it. My first mini-lesson every day is a phonics lesson and it is typically whatever the 2nd grade spelling pattern is. I use "The Phonics Dance" for that. I don't use the Phonemic Awareness component in Treasures as I don't feel it is beefy enough. I have a REALLY great phonemic awareness book that we do every day during our "PM Meeting". For comprehension, I check out what the skills are for both grade levels and choose one to focus on. The skills in Treasures spiral and repeat, so they will all get covered throughout the year. Sometimes I don't use that component when it is something we don't need. Then I choose a skill we need more practice with or are ready to work on.

A few of you wondered about my below level group...

*My 2nd graders are on grade level. When I got the split class last year I was nervous about providing critical reading skills to 1st graders, since I had never taught 1st before and would be teaching 2 curriculums (curricula?!). So, the 1st graders I got last year all had their basic reading skills, so my 2nd graders this year are on grade level or really close to being there (3 are *almost* on level). And I do have one that will be pulled to work in a 1st grade group on Wednesdays for phonics. As for my new 1st graders, our K classes were really small last year, so I think that really helped the teachers to be able to give very intense instruction. The K teachers did a phenomenal job, as they always do!

So, here's my question for you... would anyone be interested in a detailed post with pics and the like for how my "mini-lessons" look over the course of a week for Daily Five? I'm happy to do it if ya'll would like to peek into my room during that time!

17 comments:

  1. The more info, the better! I loved your pensieve tour...I looked at that to build mine. THanks!!

    tekyteach.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds great! You are amazing--I struggle with one grade level, Treasures, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A peek into your groups would be fantastic! I've been struggling with how to set up whole group/Daily 5 time. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course! After wanting to do D5 for many years, I'm finally plunging into it. I need all the help I can get :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! I also do split grade levels (but 3, not 2) and am interested in seeing how other teachers manage it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That would be soooo amazing! Christina you're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I would love to see what your Daily 5 lessons are like!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love that! I actually teach 6th grade but am using the Daily 5 as well as meeting with small groups on an almost daily basis. My problem is that I do not have lots of resources to pull from quite yet since I am a first year teacher.

    Katie
    Adventures of a 6th Grade Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  9. Christina, Which Phonics Dance product do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Would love to see your lessons!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where do you get student's reading grades from? Guided lessons or whole group lessons? How much time do you give yourself for your whole group lesson?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Info PLEASE...as has been asked before...what phonics book do u use...can't wait to see ur daily 5 mini lessons...
    As always, u motivate me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing and I would love to see your plans. thanks again. mary at apopovic@primus.ca

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, wait...I looked back at your older posts about your phonemic awareness book....I got one for FREE from the company this summer!!! I had contacted them about the book. It was pricey! So i had to wait. A few weeks later a package came to my house with the book in it, along with a letter from the company stating they wanted me to be able to use this book and were sorry I couldn't afford it, so they sent it to me for FREE! How nice was this?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would love to see a follow up post with pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd love to see that! I'm still trying to get the hang of the Daily 5 so the more information I can find the better! You're so helpful!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...