Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A "HANDY" Way to Learn About Texture Freebie!

The matter unit is in full swing and we had so much fun today playing with properties of matter.

I found this project on Pinterest last night, but forgot to "Pin It"... so I don't know where the idea came from, so I'm sorry if I stole this from you and you aren't getting credit for it! I created the freebie for the hand and it's on my Teacher's Notebook Store... you can click the picture below of what we did to download it!

I ran copies of the hand on many colors of paper and passed out pieces of sandpaper, waxed paper, cotton, beans, and macaroni. We talked about the texture and what the best describing word would be to tell about the texture of each of those pieces of matter. We glued a piece on each fingertip and wrote the texture word on the finger. They LOVED it! Then I hung them in the hall with the chart we made earlier in the day about how to describe properties of things after we sorted bags full of randomness into groups based on their properties.

Tomorrow is the magnet freebie I posted yesterday and some other fun magnet play!

I don't know what happened, but we did SO much work today... I'm hoping for another successful day on Wednesday, again on Thursday, and then a snow day on Friday! HA!

5 comments:

  1. What a cute idea! I love how you used real samples of textures. Thanks for sharing!

    Kayla
    Primary Junction

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great idea! And I'm with ya on the snow day! I have been watching the weather too. . . . You know it could come true!!! Let's all do the snow dance!
    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun! I have used a hand like that for the 5 Senses -- except we used it for "touch". :) I hope you get your snow day!
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blogs are truly awesome I have no words to praise for your blogs.
    Free Samples

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where did you get the hand template?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...