Monday, January 9, 2012

Properties of Matter Stuff

**Just a note! If you purchased the "magnets flippy" from my Teacher's Notebook store, please go in and re-download it from your account. When I printed it tonight, the fridge didn't print correctly so I have fixed it and uploaded the corrected file! Sorry!!!**

I've been pinning away all night and have found some GREAT resources for my unit on characteristics of matter which was supposed to begin today but, since it was the first day back and all, that didn't happen.

BUT tomorrow... it WILL happen!

We're going to start off the day sorting bags of stuff. Just random stuff. Then talking about why we sorted it the way we sorted it.

Which will lead into a fun activity where we'll get to chew gum. In. School. As shock rings out across the classroom, they'll be documenting the properties of the gum using their senses.

Next, some fun videos from United Streaming.

Then... this:
How totally fun!

Followed by some in-depth discussion and exploration of properties of matter including solids and liquids and all sorts of adjectives... rough, hard, smooth, soft, bouyant, etc...

We're going to make hands to help us remember texture words. On each finger will be one of the following: the word BUMPY with some beans, ROUGH with sandpaper, SMOOTH with waxed paper, SOFT with cotton, and HARD with macaroni. This was also from Pinterest, but now I can't find it and I forgot to pin it.

A big 1st grade topic is magnets, so we'll be making this Pinterest inspired project:

For which I made this freebie to share... thanks for the start, Mrs. Richardson! My kiddos will have to draw their own "thing" in the last box and then glue it to the appropriate area- magnetic or not magnetic.
Of course we'll do the magnet flippy book... (see note at the top of blog if you've purchased this file from my store)

and solids, liquids, and gases flippy too!
And to wrap it up, we'll be taking our assessment by playing a "SCOOT" style test game where students identify characteristics of an object, jot a word on a piece of paper, and then move at the signal to the next desk. You can grab it for free!
This will all lead in well to the 2nd grade idea of mixtures and solutions.

Phew! That was a lot of science! I hope you enjoy the freebies and... thanks, Pinterest, for the great ideas tonight!

10 comments:

  1. I LOVE the idea of taking an assessment scoot style!
    Lisa
    Stories From Second

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so amazing and so generous!! We've already done matter this year, but I will totally save this all and use it next year. Love the scoot assessment idea!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the scoot test. Great Idea!! :)

    DeAnne
    First Grade and Fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE Scoot games! Thanks for sharing! My class will be learning all about matter very soon. :)

    Mary
    Mrs. Lirette's Learning Detectives

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christina,
    You have to go here http://teacher.scholastic.com/activities/studyjams/matter_states/ and use this solids, liquids & gas song. Give it a chance and the kiddos will be addicted to it!
    I am your newest follower!

    Randi @ Teach It With Class
    My TPT Store
    My Facebook Page

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey Christina!
    Did I get the updated matter flippy when I won your giveaway??
    Jen
    The Teachers’ Cauldron

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had never heard of SCOOT until last week, and it sounds wonderful. I tried it today with my 1st graders and...well...not so great. Any tips on modeling it to make the game go more smoothly?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mrs. M- I love "SCOOT" and use it often in my 1st/2nd grade class. I have my kids hold their pencils up after they write and, when most are done, we ding the bell and go to the next station.

    The first few times we did it, we had partners and that worked out well as I paired up my firsties with 2nd graders who were more capable.

    Good luck!

    :)
    Christina

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...