Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Fry Fluency Phrases #3 and a Freebie!

Do you use Fry Phrases in your classroom?  I'm currently using them with a reading intervention group and I'm loving it!

I love Fry Phrases because they take sight words and put them in a context.  I am always amazed at students who can fly through sight word assessments but miss basic words when reading a text.  Fry Phrases take those high-frequency words and put them in a context so that students have an opportunity to connect and transfer their reading skills.

We're currently working on the third set of fluency phrases, so that's the pack that I just put up on TpT and you can have one of the games for free!

The pack has assessment and graphing pages (perfect for RTI!), a "BUMP" style game for practicing the phrases, another game called "BUMMER DUDE!" which is one of my signature sayings, and directions for turning "BUMMER DUDE!" into a fun dice game!  This current pack is made for my 3rd graders who need extra support... so I'm thinking that 3rd and 4th graders would benefit the most, but I had some 2nd graders last year who would have loved the challenge!  PS- every font that I used is one that I made!  :)  Yay!
 Find it on TpT!

Anywho- you can click the image below for one of the "BUMP" style game boards.  The pack has 5 of the games, which I called "ROLL, READ, REPEAT".  If you don't know how to play "BUMP", students need 10 "markers" like Unifix cubes or BINGO chips.  Each player rolls three dice, adds to find the sum, and then reads that spot on the board.  If they are correct, they put their piece there.  If another student rolls that number, they can knock the other student off!  BUT... if a student rolls the same number twice (while their marker is still on the spot) they can put a 2nd marker on there and then the space is locked and no one can bump them off!

The winner is the player who uses all of their pieces first!

If you download the file and enjoy it... if you let me know in a comment, I'll choose one to win my whole new pack tomorrow!  :)

34 comments:

  1. I love Fry Phrases! Thanks for the freebie. I just printed it out and can't wait to try it tomorrow with a few of my students-they are going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! It will be perfect for one of my reading groups! Thanks so much!
    Hilary
    Second Grade is Out of This World!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely love everything you do!!! These would be awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! I have some little friends in 4th grade who definitely need this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is PERFECT for my 3 struggling kids! They will have so much fun playing this.... and learning, too!! YOU are so sweet! Talk about "Paying if Forward"! You do that all the time and I can't tell you how much you have helped me and my students. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! ( I am printing off and making it now) WOOHOO!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard of Fry phrases, but never used them. They look interesting and like something I should be using. I picked up your Bump game, but I'm out of paper at home. So I'll get it when I'm at school tomorrow.
    thanks!
    Patty
    Second In Line

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why didn't I think of that?? My kids love Bump! They would love this as well.
    jzjszim@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you! I've never played Bump- this is great for my RTI group.

    -Maria
    Everyone deServes to Learn

    ReplyDelete
  9. My struggling readers will love this, it will really build their confidence...thanks so much!
    hminckler@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love how you paired the phrases up with the bump game!! Adds a little excitement to the mix :) Thank you!

    Kate
    EduKate and Inspire
    edukate.inspire@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is just awesome! I have been working on fluency as a strategy to improve one of my groups' reading level & have found it to have wonderful results! I love that this is another super fun way I can get them to work on fluency!
    Thanks!!

    Brenda
    Primary Inspired

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the freebie! I'll be using it this week with one of my struggling reading groups. I'd love to win the full pack... Already added it to my wish list!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this. I have an autistic son and this would be a fun way to learn words. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yeah...math AND reading all in one!!!

    tokyoshoes (at) hotmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have several students in mind as I download this! They're going to love it!! Thanks for sharing!
    Reyesremarkablerants at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't wait to use this tomorrow!! I have been wanting to introduce phrases to my lower groups. They are going to love this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love Fry phrases but notice most choose Dolch instead. I bought a ring of Fry phrases through Really Good Stuff and my firsties choose that ring over any other in the bin! Our Title teacher loves Fry too! I would be honored to have a chance to use your unit with my class.
    Thanks for the free game!
    Julie
    First Grade Critter Cafe

    ReplyDelete
  18. I downlaoded the file. Thanks for sharing!

    cheriemae@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Christina, I am actually responding to your call out for apps. The first thing you need to do is download appsgonefree and smart apps for kids- they will give you a heads up on apps that are free for a limited time. I teach first grade and have gotten many apps through them. I would say the most popular apps in my room are pocket phonics, splashmath, spelling1-2and storia. I have many, many more that you can find on my pinterest site Julie abdo bales.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  20. If you need to email me with questions... my email is heyjbales@sbcglobal.net
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is great! Thanks for the freebie!!

    Jenna
    frederickjennam@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is great! I love the idea of working on words in context. I know many of my students can benefit from this.

    Thanks,
    Deb
    maxeysjl@defnet.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great way to practice words in context. My first graders could always use practice with this!
    mjaquillard@oregoncs.org

    ReplyDelete
  24. never heard of them. how cool
    megan
    skill514@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am a huge fan of Fluency Phrases! When I was an interventionist, we would do a Rally Robin (Kagan activity) with the phrases. They would also graph how many phrases they read in a minute, and they loved to watch their graph get taller and taller :)

    Bridget
    Literacy Without Worksheets

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the freebie! I just started working with a new intervention group after school, so this will be great!

    mrsamynovellino@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you! I can't wait to use this tomorrow. They'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. My students LOVE bump games. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  29. My kids love the bump games. I never thought to use it as a reading game. Do you have any versions that would be easier (I teach first graders). If not, would you mind if I made one? I would link back to your site when sharing.
    Teachin' First

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you so very much! This game will be perfect for my fluency intervention and even a center during literacy time!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is a perfect activity for my second grade intervention group. I'm already thinking how I could also use my Chutes and Ladders board with Fry Phrases.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I can't wait to use this tomorrow in class--I think my kids will truely love this game.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I have a small group of kiddos that this game would be perfect for! Thanks for sharing! I would love to have the whole packet!

    Karen
    anappleadayinfirstgrade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Fantastic! Has anyone made Fry Phrases for the 5th- 10th Word Lists?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...