Thursday, March 29, 2012

Pre-April Fool's Day Fun!

I've been laughing about this ever since last night...

Today was our last day before spring break, which I am now officially enjoying, and I decided to do a pre-April Fool's Day joke on my students.

I've done this in the past, but I didn't do it this last year because April 1st was on a weekend.  Well, I decided that it just had to be done this year, even though April 1st is on Sunday!

Anyway... it was a short week at school and we had our Three Bears' Breakfast today (more details tomorrow!), so I knew we'd be having too much fun to be bothered to do spelling this week.

So, my students came in and I asked them to get out their pencils and mini-offices so we could take our spelling test.  Well, my room immediately burst into shouts of "WHAT?!  You didn't give us any spelling words!" and "No way!  You said there was no spelling this week!" and "I'm going to fail!  You didn't teach us any spelling this week!".  Well, I usually run three spelling lists in my room, so I told the kids we were doing a spelling review and were all taking the same test... which relieved some of them!

I passed out my official spelling test sheet and commenced with my evil plan.

Number 1- there  "There is going to be a lot of sun today"
Number 2- is  "Today is Thursday"
Number 3- really "I am really happy to be here today"
Number 4- no "The answer to your question is no"
Number 5- spelling "Spelling words correctly is important"
Number 6- test "This is a test"
Number 7- today "Today we are going to have a lot of fun"
8- happy  "I am so happy today is our Three Bears' Breakfast"
9- early  "I went to bed early last night"
10- April  "April 1st is Sunday"
11- Fool's  "Fools are people who do silly things"
12- Day  "We attend school in the day time"
13- ha  "The clown told a joke.  I said ha"
14- ha  (But, Mrs. Bainbridge, you just said ha!)  "The joke was so hilarious I said ha, ha"
15- ha  (Ummm... again, Mrs. Bainbridge?)  "The joke was too funny!  I said ha, ha, ha"

Then I asked them to read the words... and a chorus of "Mrs. Bainbridge!  You tricked us!" and tons of laughter followed... most of it was from me!  I laaaauuughed and laaaauuuughed!  Oh it was too funny!


If you have school yet tomorrow, I'd highly recommend you try it!  The kids loved it!

18 comments:

  1. Hope you have a great spring break! Cute idea!

    Swimming into Second

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, Ha!! This is too funny!! This is a very cute idea!

    Jennifer
    The First Grade Dream

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is too funny! I even had my boyfriend read it and he laughed and said it was funny! I wish I taught 2nd grade just so I could do this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Love this! What a great idea!

    :) Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it!! I used to do something similar with my kiddos but now we're always on Spring Break the last week of March and the first week of April so it doesn't work so much anymore. Soooo funny!
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what I'm doing with my class tomorrow!! :) Thanks for the chuckle.
    ~Jen
    Hello Mrs Sykes

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a GOOD one! Love it! A couple years ago, I pretended to answer a phone call from my principal. (so mean, I know), and I had a whole conversation with him about how my students were fighting at lunch and left a mess in the cafeteria (totally true most of the time) and that we had to come in on Saturday for extra school. They freaked out. And (true colors!) started to blame each other for the mess!

    A friend of mine (so mean) had the principal come in and fire her in front of the kids! That one was pretty rough - I don't think I could do that. But yours is super cute. I think I'll try something like that this year.
    Buzzing with Ms. B

    ReplyDelete
  8. ok I laughed out loud. That is a very good one. I personally like the "I'm going to bring you brownies." And you show up with a tray of brown E's. Cracks me up every time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that. I'm saving that for next year.
    http://mskerriandherkrazykindergarten.blogspot.com/2012/03/wild-hair.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. UGH! I totally forgot about this today. I could've pulled it off after our real spelling test by saying, "We need to take a spelling test for next week since it's spring break." I will have to remember for next year. =)

    Emily @ Second Grade Silliness 

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this! I am looking for my first teaching job, but will be sure to use the idea when I find one, hopefully I can implement it next year! One of my education professors told the class about your class site, so thats how I found you! Now I love your blog too! Thanks for sharing all of your wonderful ideas, I'm taking notes for my future classroom!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this so much! Thank you for this awesome idea. Hope you have a great April Fool's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's adorable. :) I bet your kiddos thought it was hysterical!!

    Mandy
    Caffeine and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...