Monday, June 4, 2012

Monthly Diaries- an instant writing portfolio!

We are wrapping up our last writing in our "monthly diary"... and we had so much fun looking back through old entries and seeing how we've changed as writers!

I start in September (actually, the first day of school in October) and we fill out a calendar with all of the events that took place in September.

Then we brainstorm an event and write about it.  Students choose an event off the calendar or something from their own life that happened that month.  We do this every month and then, at the end of the year, they have an instant portfolio to showcase their growth... not to mention a great keepsake!

Before school starts, I copy and three-hole punch a set for every student with the calendar page and then the diary for each month.  I put them in a 3-prong folder- which we use all year as our writing folders.  They store their everyday writings in the pockets, and the diary and calendar live in the middle.

Here we are working on filling in our calendar.  I write and project while they fill in their copies.  We go through each event together and they hold their pencils up when they are done.  Then I write the next event, etc...:

 And then they do their diary page!  We always draw a picture when we're done.

I have this available in my TpT and Teacher's Notebook shops.  The file contains primary and intermediate lined papers.

Ginger from Ginger Snaps is having a giveaway to celebrate 1,000 followers and this is the item I'm contributing!

11 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea. Thanks for sharing :)

    Heidi
    My (Not So) Elementary Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that! I hadn't thought to do writing that way.

    Every New Beginning

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love the way you put your monthly calendars in there, too! Great idea!

    Jenny
    Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so cool! What a great way to remember the school year.

    Sara :)
    Smiling In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea for staying organized! Thanks for sharing!

    Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did a scrapbook with my students my first year, which sounds a lot like your journal, and my darlings loved it. Thanks so much for this post, so I can remember it for next year!
    Lisa
    Stories From Second

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so great! I am totally bookmarking this and doing it next year. Thanks!

    ✰ Kimberley ✰
    First in Maine

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so doing this with my 2nd graders next year! Writing is not my area so I can always use a good idea and this looks awesome!

    Haley
    Following Optimism in 2nd Grade

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! I am going to bookmark this and save it for next year. ~ Amanda @ The Teaching Thief

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this idea! How would this work at the beginning of the year for Students who do not write yet?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...