Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Something Interesting and a Wednesday Miracle!

First- something interesting...

one of my reading groups just wrapped up a book group for "The Littles" and the last task they had to do was write about their favorite part of the book.  Every boy in the group wrote about the part in the book where the family attacked the mouse.

And every girl wrote about when the cat and Tom Little became friends.

My boys wrote about violence and my girls wrote about friendship.

Obviously boys and girls prefer different things and boys tend to focus more on the physical and girls the emotional... but I just thought it was interesting how, out of all of the parts in the 11 chapters of that book, the kids (who worked independently on the writing piece) chose the same two parts and the response was so polarized.

It just fascinated me!

And now... for the Wednesday miracle...

If a student drops a pencil in the woods and no one is around to hear it, does it still make a sound?  That's a thing, right?

Well, my kiddo didn't drop his pencil in the woods, but he did drop it on our floor and this is what happened:

It landed just like that- point in the carpet and all!

Needless to say that, on the half day before the last half day of school, even pencils are exciting to us.  And, of course, a picture had to be taken to preserve this Wednesday miracle in our minds forever!

Tomorrow's the last day and I'm SAD!  I did get my report cards and CA60s finished yesterday, so today after our delicious lunch, I began rearranging my room with the help of two of my students who were in their building with their moms.  Tomorrow we're doing to put the finishing touches on the move, have a board game day, and then the kiddos go at 11:30!

Summer school starts Monday!

8 comments:

  1. I hope you enjoy your last day! Are you teaching summer school?

    Courtney
    3rd Grade Sprinkles
    courtneyice1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll have to try that again on the spring or fall equinox...like those who try to balance an egg! Enjoy your last day!

    Haley
    Following Optimism in 2nd Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. That IS interesting!

    That pencil story reminded me of this scene from How I Met Your Mother...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_DaUnnPMHU

    Jenny
    Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can totally believe the boy/girl response. This year, I noticed that if someone fell (happened a lot!), the boys' first reactions would be to laugh and the girls would be to hover and ask if the student was okay.
    Love the miracle!
    Happy last day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is pretty amazing! If that happened in my class then everyone would be trying to do it! :)

    NotJustChild'sPlay

    ReplyDelete
  6. I"m jealous of the carpet....I hate our tile - it's SO noisy!!

    ♥ Jen
    The Teacher's Cauldron

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...